Cleek has moved to http://cleek.lunarpages.com/blogs/.
Update your treasure maps accordingly.

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Byebye film

Rumors are that Pentax is planning to stop manufacturing 35mm (and other, "compact"), film cameras in favor of all-digital models.

Interesting.

I got my first serious digital camera a few months ago, and haven't shot any film since. Well, that's not quite true - I did shoot some B&W this past weekend - but only a few shots and only because I found a roll sitting in my closet and felt bad about letting it expire unused. I don't know how the shots came out, of course, and likely won't know for at least three weeks after I finish the roll (special processing for B&W). Since I've become addicted to the instant gratification that my digital camera provides, it seems absurd to wait a month to see if I got anything right. So, maybe I'll not even bother finishing that roll, or the three rolls of my old-standby slide film (Fuji Sensia 100) that I found.

If Pentax has abandoned film, can the others be far behind ? Will my trusty Nikon N80 be among the last generation of film cameras ? Soon to be a collector's item ? Should I not trade it in for a new lens for the D100, and instead hold onto it until I can take it on Antiques Roadshow in 2030 ? Such a hard life.

via

All images Copyright 2004-2005, cleek.