Cleek has moved to http://cleek.lunarpages.com/blogs/.
Update your treasure maps accordingly.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Curry gum

So, i'm munching on a piece of Orbit spearmint gum, and I think to myself, "hey, what's this unusual flavor I'm tasting ?" It wasn't just spearmint, it was something a little exotic, a little unusual, but something I know I've had before - and very distinct. Then it hit me... tumeric. Bitter, astringent, somewhat minty, a primary ingredient in curry, tumeric makes curries yellow, too.

I assume it's a trick of two or more other flavors combining to resemble tumeric, because I couldn't find many references to tumeric being used as a flavoring in candy, though it's widely used as a coloring (probably not in this white gum). The only tumeric-flavored candy I found was in this blog post about a brown sugar and turmeric candy called "Ucon Kuro Tou".

Maybe I'm imagining things.

All images Copyright 2004-2005, cleek.