Cleek has moved to http://cleek.lunarpages.com/blogs/.
Update your treasure maps accordingly.

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Muse

In the mid 80's, when I was in my mid-teens, my mom lived in Terryville CT for a couple of years . When I would go there to visit in the summer, I'd generally split my time between fishing at a nearby pond or playing Tron at a local deli. Sometimes, though I had to walk "downtown" to the larger stores to buy stuff I couldn't find at the deli. This walk always took me past a little brick house on Main street with a sign in front that said "Lock Museum of America". I didn't believe it; a museum of locks, of all things ?? Here, in this little building, in this little central Connecticut town ? Well, one day I went in and looked around. Not surprsingly, it was full of locks and keys (!!), and I learned that CT was the home of Mr Yale (as in Yale locks).

But what I really learned, or actually what I realized, was that pretty much anything can have its own museum; and that the words "National" or "American" don't necessarily imply grandeur or enormity. This is something I should've realized earlier, having been born in the tiny city of Corning NY, home to the Corning Glass Museum, and just down Rt 17 from the National Warplane Museum and the National Soaring Museum, among others (all fine museums, of course.)

I bring this up, because I found a little entry on girlhacker about another little New England museum; this one for buttons.

More museums here.

All images Copyright 2004-2005, cleek.