Cleek has moved to http://cleek.lunarpages.com/blogs/.
Update your treasure maps accordingly.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Hi-fi Challenge

Since I'm too small to be tagged, I'll take the Hi-Fidelity Challenge myself.

Top Five Lyrics that Move Your Heart

  • Pavement - Range Life

      So drunk in the august sun
      And you’re the kind of girl I like
      Because you’re empty and I’m empty
      And you can never quarantine the past
      Did you remember in december
      That I won’t eat you when I’m gone
      And if I go there, I won’t stay there
      Because I’m sitting here too long
      I’ve been sitting here too long
      And I’ve been wasted


  • REM - Don't Go Back To Rockville
      At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
      I don't care if you're not here with me
      'Cause it's so much easier to handle
      All my problems if I'm too far out to sea


  • Unrest - June
      As you lay dying
      Morphine and ice cream
      Staining your sheets
      Confusing your mind
      and it reminds me
      They still get paid
      when you die.


  • Neil Young - Powderfinger
      Shelter me from the powder and the finger
      Cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger
      Think of me as one you'd never figured
      Would fade away so young
      With so much left undone
      Remember me to my love,
      I know I'll miss her.


  • Spoon - Anything You Want
      If there's anything you want
      Come on back cause it's all still here
      I'll be in the back room drinking my half of the beer
      And if you and me is so right
      Why's it the same thing every night

      It's just a matter of time
      It's almost measurable
      Imagination ain't kind on us tonight

      You're at your best when you got the guns turned a hundred eighty degrees
      And finding out if it adds all up right
      We go through all the same lines and sell out to appease
      But go to sleep in a bed of lies
      I made my own more than once or twice

      And now time is my time
      Time is my own
      And I feel so alive yet feel so alone
      Cause you know you're the one and that that hasn't changed
      Since you were nineteen and still in school waiting on a light
      On the corner by Sound Exchange



Top 5 Instrumentals

  • I agree with Amanda, on this: all of Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue
  • Dave Brubeck - Take Five
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing
  • Robyn Hitchcock, Chinese Water Python
  • Doc Watson - Black Mountian Rag (live)

Top 5 Live Musical Experiences
This is tough. There are so many, it seems wrong to pick just five.

  • Merlefest, 05. Of course.
  • 1991, First Lollapalooza. At the time, it was amazing to see so many people so into "alternative" music - back when the label meant something.
  • 1991, New Year's Eve. Maxwells, Hoboken, NJ. Mudhoney, The Mummys and The Lyres (?). Hanging out at the bar with the guys from Mudhoney and Thurston and Steve from Sonic Youth. We got them to fill up a postcard which we sent to a guy who couldn't make the show with us.
  • Cowboy Junkies, Cat's Cradle ('03?). They somehow managed to make songs that seem distant and melancholy on the records sound warm and personal - and I liked 'em both ways.
  • Nearly any Robyn Hitchcock show.

Top Five Artists You Think More People Should Listen To

  • Spoon
  • Cowboy Junkies
  • Elliot Smith
  • Yo La Tengo
  • Gillian Welch

Top Five Albums You Must Hear From Start to Finish

  • Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
  • Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue
  • Liz Phair, Exlie In Guyville
  • My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
  • Slint, Spiderland

Top Five Musical Heroes

  • Robert Smith
  • Robyn Hitchcock
  • Ira Kaplan (vocals, guitar - Yo La Tengo)
  • Eric Clapton
  • Stephen Malkmus (vocals, guitar - Pavement)


(oh, and fuck stupid buggy Blogger for making me retype this thing)

All images Copyright 2004-2005, cleek.