Cleek has moved to http://cleek.lunarpages.com/blogs/.
Update your treasure maps accordingly.

Monday, September 19, 2005

N Degrees

I haven't done this in a while. Pick two musicians, find the shortest path between them, a la "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon".

So, let's pick John Coltrane and Junior Brown, because those were the last two artists my iPod played.

John Coltrane played with Miles Davis who played with John McLaughlin who played with Buddy Miles who played with Junior Brown.

The real test is to do it from memory, without the help of Allmusic.com, but I just couldn't find a link from Miles Davis to Buddy Miles. I tried to find a link from Jimi Hendrix (who played with Buddy Miles) to Miles Davis through Davis' associations with Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, etc., but couldn't come up with anything. Alas, I resorted to Allmusic, which, after much digging, turned up the McLaughlin/Buddy Miles link, allowing let me to skip Hendrix completely.

If anyone out there would like to try, here's one I've already worked out: Alison Krauss to Katrina & the Waves in three steps (Alison -> XX -> XX -> XX -> Katrina & The Waves).

All images Copyright 2004-2005, cleek.